White House Representative and State Health Officer
Speak at Alliance Quarterly Meeting
COVID-19: It’s Not Over
Mr. Josh Dickson of the White House Office of Public Engagement along with Dr. Thomas Dobbs, Director of the State Department of Health, lead a discussion about the COVID-19 vaccination efforts across the country and in Mississippi.
Although many Americans have received at least one vaccination, we are far from our goal of achieving herd immunity from the COVID-19 virus. A host of efforts are ongoing to improve access to vaccines, dispel myths about the injections, and to educate Americans on the health implications of remaining unvaccinated.
The State Health Department reports that ” Mississippi is experiencing a significant rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. Numerous outbreaks have been identified in youth camps, faith-based gatherings, funerals and social events.
Due to the rapid increase in delta variant cases and outbreaks, combined with the low overall vaccination rate in the state, MSDH is making the following recommendations through July 26, 2021.
- All Mississippians 12 years of age and older should receive COVID-19 vaccination.
- All those who are unvaccinated should wear a mask when indoors in public settings.
- All Mississippi residents 65 years of age and older should avoid all indoor mass gatherings (regardless of vaccination status).
- All Mississippi residents with chronic underlying medical conditions should avoid all indoor mass gatherings (regardless of vaccination status).
If you or your organization would like to assist with vaccinations efforts, here are some links to resources:
- Host an onsite vaccination clinic with a pharmacy partner using this toolkit
- Guide for Faith Based Organizations
- We Can Do This Social Media Graphic
The more people get vaccinated, the sooner we can return to a safe and healthy normal life.
Note from the Associate Director
Recently, I was having a conversation with one of our philanthropic member organization directors and remarked to him how thrilled I was to learn of his family’s contribution to Meridian, MS. His grandfather owned and operated the E.F. Young Hotel which was a place that black travelers could find quality lodging during the years of […]
Member Spotlights: Northeast MS Habitat for Humanity
For the last two years, I have had the privilege of doing the most purposeful and fulfilling work by helping families help themselves. Our affiliate, Northeast Mississippi Habitat for Humanity, is small but mighty. We’re about helping families in Lee County, Mississippi build strength, stability, and self-reliance through shelter.Currently, we’re working with five families helping […]